Monday, May 12

the truth comes out

I am not, strictly speaking, a striped spinster: I tend strongly to avoid patterned clothing. I prefer simple lines and solid colors. I love neutrals best, but there are a few rich and bright colors mixed in.

Whence the title, then? Last year I got to visit the "Impressionism, Fashion, and Modernity" exhibit when it came to the Art Institute of Chicago. The whole thing was glorious, but I was particularly tickled by Jean-Frédéric Bazille's Family Reunion.
Note the woman in the background, sitting erect on that low wall, wearing the very striped dress and dark apron. Note, especially, if you can, the look on her face. So bold! So unconcerned with appearing pleasant! So challenging! I adored her immediately and promised then that, should I start a new blog, I would call it the stripéd spinster (I like it as a four-syllable name).

No comments:

Post a Comment