Friday, March 28

evidence of time passing

When I was younger, I saw ugly people with some regularity, I thought. I saw many people whose looks could be improved upon and still others for whom no amount of improvement could make enough difference to matter. The older I get, the fewer ugly people I see. I rarely seem to see them these days at all, in fact. I see many beautiful people--many faces and bodies that are are shaped and arranged in such a way to be considered very attractive by a majority of people. But I see more and more interesting faces and bodies. Faces I would have considered very plain at best do not seem plain at all these days. In some lights and with some expressions, they seem quite beautiful. Sometimes they evoke moods or feelings I can't quite describe. Other times they simply convey a sense of rightness.

I think this may be one of the nicest things about growing up: beauty grows too and expands to include so many more things than it did when my experience was limited. Perhaps I won't have to wait too much longer before nearly everything can be seen as a variety of beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment