Wednesday, August 27

recent miracles

1. Just before I was to defend my dissertation, my hair dryer started acting funny. First, it would work so long as I plugged it in anywhere but the bathroom. After that, one by one, it stopped working in all the other sockets throughout the apartment. The week after I defended the dissertation, Aldi had hair dryers as a "special buy" for only fifteen dollars. I bought one and set it aside until the old hair dryer died completely. The next day I found that the hair dryer had died completely, having lasted just until the day I was able to get a new one.

2. Tenants in my building often leave unwanted items in the corner of the east stairwell near the entrance to the first floor. The other day there were, among other things, a perfect 6-cup muffin pan and a pristine, glass 9x13 baking dish. I have never had a full-size 9x13 baking dish (mine is shallow), and here was one, free, that even suited my aesthetic tastes.

3. The other day was one of those ominous, late-summer, oppressively muggy days. All day the air was thick, nearly viscous. Just after noon, the temperature dropped so that the city swam in damp, swirling fog; I stood on an el platform in the middle of that sticky, cool fog. Rain was clearly imminent and I wondered whether it would hold off until I got home. Just as I walked in the door, the rain started. Within five minutes of my safe arrival home, the sky was as dark as dusk and the rain came down in torrents.

No comments:

Post a Comment